8.30am OR 1.30pm
12:30 pm OR 5:30 pm
Optional tours & activities
Hat & sunscreen, water bottle & camera.
After being completely closed for 5 years while constructing New Zealand’s Largest Wind Farm, we have been granted EXCLUSIVE access to Terawhiti Station.
Some of the highlights of the tour include:
New Zealand Fur Seals
- We stop for refreshments at a real wild Seal Colony! Get up close (but not too close!) and personal with a real native New Zealand Fur Seal. Seals guaranteed year round, but numbers fluctuate seasonably.
- We travel through New Zealand’s largest Wind Farm. Get right up to the towering 111m turbines, harnessing the wind to generate clean, renewable electricity.
- Terawhiti Farm is one of New Zealand’s largest farms and has been in the same family since 1850. Learn about the fascinating history of the area and its connections to Wellington.
- Thanks to the roads installed for the Wind Farm, this is now a working farm again. We show you how the farm is being diversified to get the most out of the area without damaging the natural environment.
- Most locals don’t even know of the Gold mining history of Wellington. We show you the remains of the Goldfields and recount stories of the era when there were over 1500 people living on Terawhiti.
- There are over 3000 wild goats on the property. We are sure to see theses lovely creatures bounding over rocks and running up mountains like, well mountain goats!
Oteranga Bay / Cook Strait Cable
- A strategic part of New Zealand’s power grid. We visit where the power cable comes across the Cook Strait and joins the North to the South Island.Also learn about the local Maori History of this area.
- A Wellington landmark, usually only seen from the Cook Strait Ferry. One of Wellingtons oldest and most remote Lighthouses.
This fabulous new tour is the best way to get out and see the real New Zealand.